Why the shift?
Consumers have become more savvy, meaning that traditional marketing techniques are no longer as effective. We have become less trustworthy and more critical about the content we consume. We don’t want to be told about a product through an advertisement.
Branded content offers more value to the reader and gives them a reason to engage with your business outside of the sale transaction. While it doesn’t always result in a purchase straight away, this establishes your business as a trustworthy source and, over time, builds up loyalty and equity. When a customer is in the market, they’re far more willing to buy what you’re selling.
Get (more than) your money’s worth
Consistent, cohesive content is worth its weight in gold. For every dollar that you spend, content marketing generates three times as many leads when compared to traditional marketing. On average, it costs 41% less than paid search, making it extremely cost-effective.
There’s a reason that 70% of marketers are actively investing in content marketing: it’s cheaper and it works. If you’re part of that remaining 30%? You need to seriously kick things into gear.
More science and stats
Need more proof about the power of content? Consider this:
- 70% of consumers prefer to get information from an article or blog post over an advertisement
- 95% of B2B service and product buyers consider content as a key aspect of trustworthiness when evaluating a business
- 1 in 10 blog posts are compounding (in the long term, organic search steadily directs traffic to these posts)