Website Speed Testing & Optimisation Tools
- GTmetrix: GT Metrix is one of the most popular website speed analysis / testing tool that helps you develop a faster and efficient website. The tool breaks down the analysis by identifying the elements slowing down the website.
- Pingdom Website Speed Test: One of the oldest and most popular website speed testing tool. The pingdom speed test tool analyses the website from different geographical location to list the average speed of the website and the elements causing the delay in page load.
- Google Pagespeed Developer Tool: Google’s very own developer tool aiming to assist developers to analyse website health, speed and recommend changes to improve the speed of the website. We highly recommend this tool which also features a Google chrome speed test add-on.
SERP Tracking Tools (Search Engine Rank Tracking Tools)
- mySEOtool: A comprehensive keyword management tool that efficiently allows you to track the SERP fluctuations on the main keywords you are optimising for your SEO campaigns and clients. We highly recommend using this tool and this is one of the many keyword tracking tools we use for tracking our success rate. You can also set alerts for the keywords and automate reporting specific to each SEO client you are managing the keywords for.
- SERPfox: This is another keyword tracking and management tool that helps you track and manage the keywords you are tracking. The tool allows you to add and group keywords by clients and it automatically tracks the SERP fluctuations on all major search engines like Google, Bing etc.
- SerpBook: Another reputed tool that allows you to track your success on the SEO campaigns. This tool also allows you track, manage and prepare whitelabel PDF reports that could be automated and emailed to the clients you are managing.
- SERP Scan: Another Rank tracking tool that allows you to track keywords and their respective rankings on the same dashboard. The tool allows multiple user accounts, alerts, reporting and local keyword rank tracking as well.
Bots and Crawlers
- Screaming Frog SEO Crawler: The Frog tool is hands down the best SEO crawler ever as of today! This awesome crawler tool does everything and more you would expect from an SEO crawler tool. The tool is frequently updated and maintain high standards in terms of quality. The tool is available in almost all OS variants like Windows, OS X and even Ubuntu. This is a free tool but if you are crawling websites with more than 500 URLs, it is highly recommended to purchase a premium license reasonably priced at 99 pounds per year.
- BeamUsUp SEO Crawler: With the Frog tool mentioned above, you need not look any further, however if you want to perform multivariate testing on multiple tools, you could use this second tool we recommend – the BeamUsUp Free SEO crawler is also available for free download.
On-Page Website SEO Audit Tools
- Site SEO Checkup: Even though SEO is all about analysis, correlation, action and fine tuning, sometimes, tools like Site SEO Checkup can give standard on page SEO issues which needs immediate attention. Site SEO Checkup is a decent SEO on page audit tools that gives you a basic on-page SEO analysis report.
- WooRank: WooRank is another popular basic on-page SEO analysis tool similar to Site SEO Checkup tool mentioned above. It will be a good idea to switch between on-page analysis tools to compare the results you receive from each of these basic reports.
- MOZ On Page Analysis Tools: Moz is one of the most popular names in the SEO industry. SEOMoz offers several free basic SEO tools on their website and also have a 30 Days free trial to check your on-page website SEO health. SEOMoz is not really a tool but a suite of tools and a very active SEO industry expert community.
- SEOBook Toolbox: Another popular name in the SEO industry! SEOBook has a toolbox of several useful basic SEO tools which could help you find critical aspects of your on-page health like keyword density, broken links etc.
Keyword Research Tools
- Keyword Eye: A very impressive keyword research tool that allows you to easily identify the best keywords to target for, the search volume, Adwords competition and some other metrics. The tool is very handy to identify other good, high value keywords to target within your niche. The tool uses Google API to fetch information from Google Adwords Keyword tool and Search Volume Index data.
- Google Adwords Keyword Tool: The Google Adwords keyword tool is by far the best keyword research tool you could come across on the Internet. This is the tool you should be using if you want to get in-depth and accurate information, especially if you are looking for a free keyword research option.
- Bing Keyword Research Tool: The official Bing Keyword research tool (free tool) which uses the Bing search index data for providing information on keywords and their search index volumes. If you have started considering Bing as a serious search engine, this tool will be handy!
- WordTracker: A very popular premium keyword research tool in the SEO industry. The tool uses information from Google Adwords and other data sources to reveal 1000’s of high value keywords from 15+ territories and valuable information about your competition.
- WordStream Keyword Tool: WordStream is a free keyword tool that allows you to identify high value keywords in your industry. This is not the best available in the industry but can do well for identifying some good long tail keywords.
- Market Samurai Keyword Research & Competition Analysis: A powerful client side application available for both OS X and Windows offering a handful of terrific features that will aid you to boost your SERP rankings. The tool uses couple of APIs like, the Majestic SEO API, Google Adwords API to bring you valuable data that helps you to analyse your competition and the keywords you are after.
Advanced SEO Analysis Tools
- Majestic SEO: Majestic is one of the big names in the professional SEO industry and offer couple of trademark tools bundled together in their premium subscription based membership. Majestic SEO is for serious SEO professionals and sure does give a cutting edge above your competition with their data.
- Majestic have their own search index (like Google) and their own crawlers that crawl / index the Internet just like Google does. Their servers located at various geographical locations together contribute to defining “flow metrics” for each website thereby making it easier for Search Marketers to make vital decisions.
- ahrefs Site Explorer : The single largest worthy competitor to Majestic SEO in the Search Industry to have their own infrastructure and technology to crawl and share valuable information about competitors, backlinks and search ranking metrics. This is a very powerful premium advanced SEO tool and is often compared with Majestic SEO.
- Open Site Explorer : Another popular premium subscription based SEO tool by Moz. The tool does have similar features when compared to Majestic and ahrefs. OSE has their own metrics like Domain Authority (DA) and Page Authority (PA) – quite similar to the Majestic Trust Flow (TF) and Citation Flow (CF).
- Raven Tools: This tool could come in multiple categories our experts have identified on this page. However, we have decided to place it among the Advanced SEO tools as it does far more than just keyword tracking or reporting. Raven Tools is yet another popular tool for serious SEO professionals or agencies and offer several features like keyword tracking, reporting, backlink analysis, keyword research, Google Analytics integration and much more!
Google Algorithm Penalty Analysis Tools
- Barracuda Digital Google Penalty Checker Tool : Even though one cannot with confidence pin-point the reason for a Google algorithm penalty, industry experts consider and correlate various vital aspects to identify the possible reasons for a penalty. Barracuda Digital’s penalty checker tools is the best tool available on the internet for free as of today. The tool requests connection to your Google Analytics account and uses the data to plot the algorithm updates dates as a layer which helps you spot the penalty that caused fluctuation.
- Fruition Google Penalty Checker: One of the first tool that was developed by Fruition SEO to be able to predict and identify the Google Algorithm change that could have penalised your website. This is yet another premium tool but has a free membership plan that allows you to track penalties of up to 2 websites. We don’t recommend this tool unless you sign up for the premium accounts, as the free membership does not reveal the last 3 recent month’s data.
Outreach and Link Building Tools
- SEO Tools for Excel: A bundle of awesome tool kit by Niels Bosma that allows better data organising and handling to aid your SEO link research with the help of several API’s to connect to various services.
- SocialMention: An interactive search engine that allows you to discover real time popular influencers in niche. This helps to great extent in identifying probable link building opportunities in the form of guest posts or comments.
- BuzzSumo: A powerful tool that helps you identify the most shared topic in a niche and also other key citations about your niche on the internet elsewhere.
- Followerwonk: A powerful tool owned by the Moz SEO Family which allows users to do in-depth social media analytics, especially Twitter. It allows you to identify and follow popular accounts in your niche leading to more backlink opportunities.
- BuzzFeed: A powerful and popular tool to discover all the buzzing and most popular content on the internet at once place. The tool has several advantages, but not limited to identifying the most popular websites in your niche, the viral topics that are trending and keyword ideas.
- BuzzStream: A premium tool online that speeds up link building process and also social media optimisation and press release related features.
SEO Friendly Content Management Systems
- WordPress: Undoubtedly the most popular Open Source Content Management System (CMS) and publishing platform for self hosted websites allowing users to seamlessly manage content on site. The CMS is extremely search engine friendly as it is cleanly coded and boasts an organised structure. In addition, the official WordPress repository has thousands of free plugins and themes to upscale your website’s capabilities.
- Drupal: A developer’s favorite CMS that is very well coded and built on a solid framework. The CMS is hugely popular and is recommended for intermediate and advanced users unlike the user friendly counterpart – WordPress.
- Joomla: Joomla and Mambo have been part of the Open Source content management systems for over a decade and still continues to be one of the favorite CMS on the Internet. The Joomla repository has countless plugins, themes and modules for free use.
- Magento: One of the most popular Open Source eCommerce management CMS that allows you to easily setup an online e-business and make sales almost instantly. The CMS has advanced reporting dashboards and API’s that allows you to integrate with FPOS payment systems.
SEO Resource Blogs and Websites
Official Industry Search Engine Tools
Google Algorithm Change Monitors
- MozCast: A comprehensive tool developed by Moz that picturizes and visualises the entire search algorithm environment like a weather forecast. The tool shows daily status of the algorithm changes and the impact of the metrics on the various niches of websites.
- AlgoRoo: A Google algorithm change tracking tool that showcases the impact of the algorithm changes on approximately 17,000 keywords tracked in the database. The tool is quite effective in showing the fluctuations and impact of algorithms on the websites and SERP data.
- Google Algorithm Change Timeline: A comprehensive list of all the Google algorithm updates, the dates and the impact that the change resulted in, be it Panda or Penguin.
Note: This Resource page has been prepared by Search Marketing Group Melbourne (All rights reserved).